Polish Wedding Roundup: Things I Learned

Monday, August 15, 2011 | |

Filled to the brim with pure Polish goodness: vodka
Here comes the party train!

After a whirlwind vacation in Poland and Spain, I'm finally back stateside and ready to reflect on all the Polish wedding goodness. I learned that I have a lot to learn about Polish weddings! Eesh here I was moonlighting as some wedding blogger when I was missing all these integral elements of a big, fat Polish wedding extravaganza. But rest assured I gathered the necessary knowledge from my born and bled Polish countrymen and am ready to share.

  • There is tons of food, no literally tons. During the course of a Polish wedding you will be served approximately 132049 courses, or at least this is what it feels like. In order to sustain wedding guests for an entire night of revelry, the bride and groom provide copious amounts of Polish delicacies from pierogi to bigos to galaretki, barszcz, krokiety and every other combination of szynki, salatki and everything in between. And of course bread. Lots and lots of bread.
  • Alcohol is simple. Vodka with a side of juice. Shot glasses and vodka bottles adorn the tables and there's no such thing as a mixed drink or beer. No, no my friend. During a Polish wedding you drink what the natives drink: czysta. Which means vodka in its purest form, straight up.
  • Prepare to dance. All. Night. Long. 
  • Prepare to sing "Sto Lat" All. Night. Long. Probably about eighteen million times and then one more time for good measure.
  • Each time the guests sing "Sto Lat" the bride and groom make out. Yep, each time. Happy smooching!
  • Dancing to "Jedzie Pociag z Daleka" in a train formation once isn't enough. Guests will make the train formation several times in the evening, while the head of the train twists and turns at incredible speeds trying to get the drunk wedding guests even drunker. 
  • If you survive this, you get to do it all again the next day! :) 
Both weddings I attended were fantastic and gave me tons of ideas for our own Polish wedding next year. There's so many fun and unique elements that a full recap of each wedding is coming up!


P.S. On a side note I also learned that trying to blog while having limited access to internet is not easy. It's even more difficult when you're constantly distracted by delicious food, beverages, scenic views and grandmas that won't stop feeding you. So my apologies, I will faithfully post from here on :)

3 comments:

Mila said...

I love going to weddings in Poland. This is a good refresher list to recreate that here in the U.S! Also there's the money dance where guys line up to pay a zloty (or dollar) to dance with the bride or the two Poland weddings I've been at even played "Mam chusteczke" at approx 4am!

Kasia said...

yes that was there!! love it! :)

marta said...

I like this one yuri! : ) funny and true.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...